Arguably, the core foundation and integral measure of quality for any concrete slab is determined by the overlay. Without a properly mixed, poured and spread concrete overlay, every other step in the concrete polishing process may suffer. ModernCrete is intimately aware of this fact, which is why their crew is so adamant about laying concrete floors that are well-prepared and executed. It’s safe to say they excel at it, with an average overlay installation rate at 250,000-400,000 square feet per year. ModernCrete’s attention and devotion to quality flooring inevitably results in beautiful, finished surfaces, as captured in the images below.
The photos above were actually taken from 3 different projects, but they aptly display the steps of a typical concrete overlay application. The photos with hippo mixers were taken at a 5,000 square foot overlay in Houston, TX. On this job site the ModernCrete crew used 450 bags of Ardex PCT and AmeriPolish integral color. They then used HTC grinders with the Fenix system to polish the floor to a 3000 grit polish.
ModernCrete has perfected its concrete overlay process, with standard methods and products used on any concrete flooring application. They are outlined as follows:
- Hippo mixers are crucial for projects that call for a self-leveling floor installation
- Self-leveling compounds include: CTS RapidSet, Mapei, Ardex and Ultraflor PC-5614
- Hippo mixers allow you to mix up to 5 bags at a time, drastically reducing the amount of time and worker fatigue, as compared to traditional hand mixing
- AmeriPolish integral OS color adds color for clients who want it
- The Fenix polishing system from HTC is used to diamond polish most overlays
- During installation, steel porcupine rollers from CTS RapidSet are used to level the floor and release air entrapped by surface tension at the skin of the overlay
- Spiked shoes from Shoe-In Pro Finish make getting on and off spikes simple
- For floors that need to be taken down more than 1/4″ in order to prep overlays, a concrete shaver is ideal
More About ModernCrete
ModernCrete Concrete Design is a full service decorative concrete firm. It is headquarted in Austin, Texas – an environment perfect for the energy and artisanship operations vital to decorative concrete. Making concrete floors beautiful has been ModernCrete’s passion since 2001. It uses state of the art techniques and tools for superior results. Pride of workmanship is a hallmark of this company and its employees. And above all else, customer focused quality is integral. ModernCrete is committed to understanding your needs and making your concrete vision come to life.
For more information about how to properly apply a concrete overlay, the prep work involved, which products to use, etc. please contact us or write us in the comment section below. And to see more “real life” projects, visit our customer highlights category.